Carnival day this year in Whaley Bridge is planned for Saturday 24 June. Plans are still being developed and there is still time to get involved. This is a community event, run for the benefit of all people in Whaley Bridge with the aim being to provide a fun day for children (young and old).
The timetable will be similar to last year’s:
- Judging of Lamp posts, Houses, Pubs & Shops from 10.00
- Check-in for floats, visiting Royalty and participants at Bingswood Car Park at 11.00
- Booking-in point at Tom Brad’s Croft, Canal Basin from 11.00
- Road closed along Market Street from Tesco to Buxton Road at Horwich End, and Old Road from 12.45 to 14.15.
- The Carnival Parade will set off at 13.00 and follow the route Canal Street, Market Street, Buxton Road, Chapel Road and along Old Road to the bottom
- Confirmed participants in the parade include The Urban Gypsies, Northenden Pipe Band, Whaley Bridge Band, New Mills Band, The Clipstone Silverbirds Marching Band, High Peak Radio, and local groups including Whaley Bridge Brownies, Tesco With Bridgemont Nursery, High Peak Gymnastics, The Village Kitchen and Revelation Rhythms
- Following the parade Whaley Waltz fell race will start from outside The Railway
- There will be a street collection by volunteers
- A family fun day at the Bowling club will follow immediately after the parade with Trevor Zoppi’s Carousel, Slide, Inflatables, and performances by Kevin O’Neill, Clipstone Silverbirds, Northenden Pipe Band, Run of the Mill and others! There will be refreshments, tea, coffee, cakes, ice cream and of course a bar at the Bowling club
- This year there will be a wide variety of stalls
- All profits of the event, after expenses, will go as donations to local children’s groups (last year over £1100 was donated)
A Programme and Local Business Guide is being put together which will be available free prior to the event, thanks our wonderful sponsors.
There is still plenty of time to participate either as an individual or group on foot, on a trailer, in an open top vehicle, in an historic vehicle or Great Grandad’s penny farthing (careful on Old Road).
Volunteer marshals, advertisers, sponsors, programme deliverers, stall-holders, performers and entertainers can all get in touch via our contact form at this link (just click the appropriate item in the drop-down box):
or by contacting the Carnival Chair by email