Carnival day this year in Whaley Bridge is planned for Saturday 24 June. Plans are still being developed and there is still time to get involved. This is a community event, run for the benefit of all people in Whaley Bridge with the aim being to provide a fun day for children (young and old).
The timetable will be similar to last year’s:
- Judging of Lamp posts, Houses, Pubs & Shops from 10.00
- Check-in for floats, visiting Royalty and participants at Bingswood Car Park at 11.00
- Booking-in point at Tom Brad’s Croft, Canal Basin from 11.00
- Road closed along Market Street from Tesco to Buxton Road at Horwich End, and Old Road from 12.45 to 14.15.
- The Carnival Parade will set off at 13.00 and follow the route Canal Street, Market Street, Buxton Road, Chapel Road and along Old Road to the bottom
- Confirmed participants in the parade include The Urban Gypsies, Northenden Pipe Band, Whaley Bridge Band, New Mills Band, The Clipstone Silverbirds Marching Band, High Peak Radio, and local groups including Whaley Bridge Brownies, Tesco With Bridgemont Nursery, High Peak Gymnastics, The Village Kitchen and Revelation Rhythms
- Following the parade Whaley Waltz fell race will start from outside The Railway
- There will be a street collection by volunteers
- A family fun day at the Bowling club will follow immediately after the parade with Trevor Zoppi’s Carousel, Slide, Inflatables, and performances by Kevin O’Neill, Clipstone Silverbirds, Northenden Pipe Band, Run of the Mill and others! There will be refreshments, tea, coffee, cakes, ice cream and of course a bar at the Bowling club
- This year there will be a wide variety of stalls
- All profits of the event, after expenses, will go as donations to local children’s groups (last year over £1100 was donated)
A Programme and Local Business Guide is being put together which will be available free prior to the event, thanks our wonderful sponsors.
There is still plenty of time to participate either as an individual or group on foot, on a trailer, in an open top vehicle, in an historic vehicle or Great Grandad’s penny farthing (careful on Old Road).
Volunteer marshals, advertisers, sponsors, programme deliverers, stall-holders, performers and entertainers can all get in touch via our contact form at this link (just click the appropriate item in the drop-down box):
or by contacting the Carnival Chair by email
Notice has been given by Derbyshire County Council of an extension to the closure until 31 July 2017* of the footpath which runs from Taxal Woods past the Goyt Valley Water Treatment Works to the top of the Fernillee Dam.
*or until works complete Continue Reading »
Looking for a great way to keep fit and have fun in a friendly group? Look no further than Furness Vale Bowling Club – affiliated to the Community Centre – new season beginning in April – suitable exercise for most, whatever age, gender, condition.
Practice anytime, match play Monday evening – through to Competition standard.
For further details contact the Secretary Doug Wright on 01663 745928.
Go on give it a try!
It all happens in Furness Vale
Whaley Bridge Volunteer Centre (WBVC) helps local people get out and around.
Volunteers drive elderly or infirm residents to their healthcare appointments, take them shopping or give them a lift to social events.
Last year the centre arranged over 400 trips, but they only have 19 volunteers altogether and urgently need more drivers.
WBVC opens on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings from 10am to 12 noon. If you’d like to find out more, drop in at the Mechanics Institute, on Market Street, or call 01663 734588 during opening times.
Following a number of recent burglaries in Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire Constabulary are offering to visit residents concerned about the security of their homes and offer free advice.
They say: “If anyone wants PC Graham Mason or myself, PCSO Tracy Jones, to go to their homes and do a security check for them we will and also we will mark their valuables for them as well.
If any one wishes us to do this they can contact us on:
If they drop us an email we will contact them.”